Broad Street Bridge

Main Street Bridge

 
Click here to access the Infrastructure Improvement map

Broad Street Bridge

Originally built in 1956, and widened in 1965, the Route 250 Broad Street Bridge is a main road in and out of Downtown Waynesboro. It carries about 10,000 vehicles daily with a high percentage of heavy trucks. According to annual maintenance inspections, the bridge was rated in serious condition, and plans were generated to replace the superstructure; including deck, beams and railing. Additionally, the two abutments and three piers will be recapped. The project is estimated to be about 3.2 million, a million of which comes from a revenue sharing matching grant through Virginia Department of Transportation with the remainder funded through the City of Waynesboro.

The rehabilitation of Broad Street Bridge will include:
> Removal of deck
> Removal of steel
> Repairs to abutments and piers
> Replacement of steel and decking
> Erect current VDOT standard guardrail

The rehabilitation began Feburary 2013. After nine months of closure for repair, the Broad Street Bridge reopens to traffic on October 31st, slightly ahead of schedule. The project was managed by the Waynesboro Department of Public Works, Fairfield-Echols of Fishersville served as the general contractor and Schwartz Associates of Lynchburg acted as design engineer.

The City had the grand opening ceremony on November 15th, 2013 to celebreate the completion of the Broad Street Bridge rehabilitation.

 

Broad Street Bridge